The Tar Heel women prevailed by a score of 175-133 while Carolina’s men triumphed by a score of 176-90.
While is was definitely the night for seniors, it was a sophomore – Liliana Casso – who provided some early fireworks in the 1,000-yard freestyle.
UNC’s Casso led comfortably for much of the race but on the 35th lap Duke freshman Verity Able passed her. On the 40th and final lap however, Casso chased her down at the end to win by eight one hundreds of a second – 10:07.25 to 10:07.33.It was the final home dual meet for a cadre of UNC seniors – Kelly Corish, Danielle Siverling, Hannah Runyon-Hass, Patrick Myers, Tyler Hill, David Speese, Brian Bollerman, Dom Glavich, Ryan Fox, Clifton Gordon, Graham Williams and Nick Lowe.
The victories Friday lifted the UNC men to 5-2 overall and 3-1 in the ACC while the Tar Heel women are now 6-1 overall and 4-0 in the ACC. The Duke women lost for only the second time this year and are 8-2 overall, 2-2 in the ACC. The Duke men are now 4-5 overall and 0-3 in the ACC.
“This is a great group of seniors,” said UNC head coach Rich DeSelm. “These women were unbelievable for UNC. They are first class people. We’ve got a bigger group on the men’s side. They’ve helped me grow as a leader and helped solidify this team. They are all tough and they are all good. We hate to see seniors go. But that’s the whole idea. They are supposed to come and compete and graduate and go on with the rest of their lives.”
Both the Carolina men and women raced out to an early lead by sweeping first, second and third in several competitions including, but not limited to, the men and women’s 200-yard freestyle, 50-yard freestyle, 100-yard backstroke and 200-yard backstroke.
DUAL MEET NOTES (UNC MEN)
• The Tar Heels swept the top three places in the 200-yard freestyle as Ben Colley at 1:37.63 and Philip Perdue at 1:37.97 set career best times. Logan Heck finished third in a season best 1:39.38. Colley’s previous career best was 1:38.26 at 2014 Nike Cup and Perdue’s best was a high school clocking of 1:38.54.
• Clifton Gordon and Patrick Riess took second and third place in the 100-yard backstroke with season best times of 49.52 and 50.27, respectively.
• Dom Glavich was the runner-up in the 100-yard breaststroke with a season best 55.49 (56.83 at Nike Cup).
• Matt Conway was the runner-up in the 200 fly and had a season best 1:48.75 (previous best 1:49.05).
• Philip Perdue captured the men’s 50 free in a season best 20.59. Chris Gondek and J.T. Casey finished second and third in career best times of 20.61 and 20.63. Their previous bests were 20.72 and 21.19, respectively.
• Philip Perdue won the 100-yard freestyle in a career best 44.98 (previous best was 45.07 in high school). The Tar Heels finished 1-2-3-4 in the event. Junior Chris Gondek also had a career best time of 45.42 in finishing fourth (45.47 was his previous best).
• Kurt Wohlrab won the 200-yard breaststroke in a season best 1:59.78, the first Tar Heel to go under two minutes this year.
• Matt Conway won the 500 freestyle in a season best time of 4:33.30. Graham Williams and Bailey Burt also had season bests in the race.
• Clifton Gordon won the 100 fly in a career best 48.35, breaking his previous top time of 49.08. Nick Lowe, Christian Caveness and Will Close all had season best times.
DUAL MEET NOTES (UNC WOMEN)
•Caroline Baldwin took second place in the 100-yard backstroke at 55.66, lowering her time of 55.88 at Nike Cup.
• Junior Annie Goessling won the 100-yard breaststroke in a career best time of 1:03.44. She shaved more than a second over her previous career best of 1:04.83.
• Three Tar Heels established career best times in the 200-yard butterfly led by event winner Kendall Surhoff in 1:59.95 (previous best 2:00.79). Alli Haufler went 2:00.29 (previous best 2:00.54) and Kacy Rhyne went 2:03.45 (previous best 2:05.80).
• Katie McKay of UNC won the 50-yard freestyle in a career best 23.18 (previous best 23.75). Katie Ford was third in a season best 23.31.
• Katie McKay finished second in the 100 free in a career best time of 50.81 (previous best) was 51.45.
• Alli Haufler had a career best time in 55.28 Her previous top was were 55.42.
• Kendall Surhoff won the 200-yard individual medley in a career best time of 2:02.35. Her previous career best time was 2:02.59.
NEXT UP: The Tar Heels turn right around and travel to Raleigh, N.C. on Saturday to meet the NC State Wolfpack. The meet starts at 1 p.m. at Carmichael Natatorium. All four teams are ranked in the Top 20 of this week’s CSCAA polls.
MEN’S TEAM SCORE
#18 North Carolina 176, Duke 90
WOMEN’S TEAM SCORE
#5 North Carolina 175, Duke 113
INDIVIDUAL EVENT WINNERS–MEN
200-Yd. Medley Relay: North Carolina (Nic Graesser, Kurt Wohlrab, Sam Lewis, Logan Heck), 1:28.11
1000-Yd. Freestyle: Eugene Tee (UNC), 9:27.52
200-Yd. Freestyle: Ben Colley (UNC), 1:37.63
100-Yd. Backstroke: Sam Lewis (UNC), 48.05
100-Yd. Breaststroke: Peter Kropp (Duke), 54.80
200-Yd. Butterfly: Mitch DeForest (UNC), 1:47.93
50-Yd. Freestyle: Philip Perdue (UNC), 20.59
1-Meter Diving: Jack Nyquist (UNC), 341.93
100-Yd. Freestyle: Philip Perdue (UNC), 44.98
200-Yd. Backstroke: Patrick Myers (UNC), 1:47.78
200-Yd. Breaststroke: Kurt Wohlrab (UNC), 1:59.78
500-Yd. Freestyle: Matt Conway (UNC), 4:33.30
100-Yd. Butterfly: Clifton Gordon (UNC), 48.35
3-Meter Diving: Jack Nyquist (UNC), 426.53
200-Yd. Individual Medley: Dalton Shaw (UNC), 1:51.16
200-Yd. Freestyle Relay: North Carolina (Logan Heck, Sam Lewis, Nic Graesser, Chris Gondek), 1:20.06
Records: North Carolina 5-2, ACC 3-1; Duke 4-5, ACC 0-3
INDIVIDUAL EVENT WINNERS–WOMEN
200-Yd. Medley Relay: North Carolina (Hellen Moffitt, Katie Munch, Hannah Lincoln, Caroline Baldwin), 1:41.09
1000-Yd. Freestyle: Lilianna Casso (UNC), 10:07.25
200-Yd. Freestyle: Danielle Siverling (UNC), 1:49.18
100-Yd. Backstroke: Megan Bestor (UNC), 55.21
100-Yd. Breaststroke: Annie Goessling (UNC), 1:03.44
200-Yd. Butterfly: Isa Paez (Duke), 1:59.47
50-Yd. Freestyle: Katie McKay (UNC), 23.18
3-Meter Diving: Elissa Dawson (UNC), 365.03
100-Yd. Freestyle: Ally Hardesty (UNC), 50.69
200-Yd. Backstroke: Caroline Baldwin (UNC), 2:01.00
200-Yd. Breaststroke: Katie Munch (UNC), 2:18.02
500-Yd. Freestyle: Annie Harrison (UNC), 4:59.80
100-Yd. Butterfly: Hellen Moffitt (UNC), 54.28
3-Meter Diving: Michole Timm (UNC), 319.20
200-Yd. Individual Medley: Kendall Surhoff (UNC), 2:02.35
200-Yd. Freestyle Relay: North Carolina (Sarah Hitchens, Caroline Baldwin, Ally Hardesty, Hannah Lincoln), 1:33.02